Wednesday, June 18, 2014

macaron

I'd really like to try a macaron.  They look so delicious... and pretty.  But I admit trepidation.  I fear I won't like them.  And it's a strange fear... because why am I so emotionally invested in the taste of this item matching the prettiness?  So often I find that the prettiest, most perfect looking confections taste too sugary or gross.  So I often avoid the all too perfect fondant confections and artisinal baked goods.  But sometimes the 'ugly' ones taste worst.

I've had whoopie pies before - the American version of the macaron.  They were huge, bloated monstrosities larger than my hand, stuffed with cream that was more sugary than creamy.  I felt like I was eating a lead weight.  The denseness that lay heavy in my stomach was not worth the mediocre taste.  By comparison, macarons look so delicate and airy.  I just want it to be true.

We used to have a French bakery in town but they never had macarons.  I imagine if they were still in business, they would have capitalized on the trend by now... and consequently, I would have had a true macaron in my stomach already.  But as it stands, I really don't know of any place nearby that would make them, and make them properly.  Just another one of the joys of living in Mid-Western suburbia.

This post has been brought to you by too much coffee and a lack of macarons.

No comments:

Post a Comment