Thursday, June 20, 2013

TV Promised Me a Future with Pink Hair

I think I'm a little bitter about all those TV shows that promised us a future full of technological advances, shiny silver clothes, and neon hair.  Honestly, I think I could be happy if I would at least be able to dye my hair whatever color I wanted and have it be socially acceptable (ie, couldn't get fired from my job for it).

I went to one of the lame high schools that wouldn't let you dye your hair an "unnatural color."  College was too short.  And now the working world has decided to repress me once again because I am in a conservative industry.  I don't want to have to wait until I'm retired before I can dye my hair purple again.


I feel like part of my identity is being cut off from the rest of me.  There are honestly times when I miss working retail because I could wear what I wanted and dye my hair how I wanted, and I felt really good about myself... because I was authentically expressing myself.  Now I live in an existential nightmare where I constantly feel like I have to hide multiple faucets of my identity in order to avoid becoming a pariah.  I really didn't think being an adult would be so depressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment